Microsoft Server 2003: End of Life July 2015? Server Alternatives
Microsoft have confirmed that they will end support for their popular Server 2003 product range on the 14th of July 2015. It was first released on April 24, 2003. An updated version, Windows Server 2003 R2, was released on December 6, 2005. This product range also includes Small Business Server 2003.
These products were aimed towards the small to medium-sized businesses. Supporting file and printer sharing, secure Internet connectivity, centralised desktop application deployment, and in the case of Small Business Server the addition of Microsoft Exchange (email) and SQL (database).
When Microsoft ceases support for Server 2003 they will no longer issue security updates or software patches for any version of Server 2003. If you continue to use this product it will be like basing your business on a piece of equipment that is 12 years old, no longer serviced, and who the manufacturer no longer provides parts.
Ultimately businesses who continue to use Server 2003 will take on declining performance & escalating risk over time.
Upgrade or your business systems due to Security and Compliance Issues
If you are still using Server 2003 or Small Business Server 2003, you should take this situation seriously or your business will be negatively impacted with some significant consequences. You should consider the following information as you make your Server 2003 migration plan.
- Security Risks:The biggest problem is the security threat to your business. Without the security provided by an updated operating system, all of your business data and personal information is vulnerable to harmful viruses and spyware. There is a strong likelihood that malicious viruses will be developed & unleashed on Server 2003 once it is no longer supported. No business owner wants to think about a being attacked by Malware or their business not being able to function properly.
- Compliance Issues:For many businesses, continuing to operate a non supported software can result in compliance issues leading to the suspension of certifications, and/or public notification of the organisation’s inability to securely maintain its systems and customer information. Compliance problems can place your business in legal peril and seriously damage your business’ reputation.
- Upgrade Expenses:As a business owner trying to control costs, do you think an upgrade will be too expensive? Think again. The problems that are likely to arise can cost your business significantly more than the upgrade.
The good news is that Microsoft provides a number of alternatives that may suit your situation & budget.
So what are the alternatives for your business?
- Windows Server 2012 R2 – Windows Server 2012 R2 offers a lengthy list of improvements compared with Windows Server 2003, including integrated virtualization, better security, extensive scalability, new operational roles, script execution capabilities, and far more. While it is a substantial learning curve to move directly from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 R2, customers are well advised to not make an interim upgrade to Windows Server 2008 as that product has already gone to end of mainstream support in January 2015. Licensing & hardware investment can be significant to facilitate this migration.
- Office 365 – This is a Microsoft cloud hosted version of much of the server software product plus it can be provisioned with the full range of Office software such as Email Outlook, Word, PowerPoint & Excel. By subscribing to this per user per month service you can avoid investing in new hardware, on site running costs (such as electricity, rent, air con, security) & for larger companies in house IT staff. Smooth migration from Server 2003 to office 365 requires professional user management and ongoing administration much like a server, but without the critical infrastructure management (Microsoft does this in their data center), so IT support can more easily be outsourced.
- Microsoft Azure – This is a hosted server product that Microsoft has developed for IT integrators to host server infrastructure centrally and control locally, so software & application can be deployed & managed on an individual rather than collective basis. An Office 365 & Azure hybrid (using virtualization) may be a practical alternative for industries that have developed applications that are reliant on 32 bit technology that was the core of the 2003 product and may not be compatible with the 64 bit technology
Do you have a Server Migration plan in place?
Microsoft has flagged this drop dead date for support for a serious reason, so this is not a situation you can simply ignore. It’s happening on July 14 2015, so mark your calendar. Most large organisations have been working on their migration plans for years. For small-medium sized business owners, the hour is getting late so we strongly encourage you to take action today!
Computer Troubleshooters encourages you to take this situation seriously and develop a migration plan immediately. Our experts can help you understand your migration options and work with you to develop an upgrade strategy for your business. Call your local Computer Troubleshooters office today before you run out of time.
Office 365 is a combination of the old Microsoft Office Professional licence software that enabled Outlook, Word, Excel, & Powerpoint; plus 365 includes hosted Exchange email (Enterprise grade Email), plus OneDrive for business (Cloud Storage), Skype for Business (Teleconferencing), Yammer (Social Business Platform) plus more….Read More
Read our Office 365 & IT Solutions catalogue to get a full view of Office 365 capabilities, applications, features and benefits and how we can set your business up for the future. Our guide to modern business IT explains how even for the smallest business can be fully IT enabled into the cloud plus more…Read More
As the new default Microsoft Office Product for Business, Office 365 offers many advantages in terms of lower investment, multiple device, & anywhere access, however before you embark on the 365 Migration we recommend you take the time to understand the product limitations and requirements , plus more…Read More
We can help with your Microsoft office 365 Setup, Migration & Support requirements. As an experience Microsoft support partner for 365 we can ensure the smooth transfer from your old IT systems to the new cloud enabled environment with a minimum of business disruption & with Computer Troubleshooters being your local single point of contactRead More
If your business is considering migrating to Office 365 why not talk to us about our FREE IT Assessment where we will visit your business for a consultation to do a review of your current IT setup, your systems security, & data backup procedures. We will discuss with you your current and future business requirements and explaining any Office 365 & Cloud opportunities. Based on this consultation & feedback we will present recommendations based on your individual business requirements…Read More
Microsoft Small Business Server was the primary small business solution provided by Computer Troubleshooters until it withdrawal in 2014. Now businesses with up to 75 employees need to seek alternative solutions which is quite often a combination of Office 365 and local on premise solutions.Read More